pseudo-generalizations

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Oct 1 23:09:49 UTC 2003

Yes, Matt, you are right. But, still I think one should always be
striving to motivate statistical universals, even if it's hard. Such
motivations will always be "stories," i.e., hypotheses with more or less
evidence in their favor, but I don't think this is really qualitatively
different from what other sciences do. For example, I have asked
advanced physicists whether the atom is a proven fact, or a theoretical
construct. They always say it is a theoretical construct that explains a
heck of a lot of data. (Don't ask an undergraduate physics major this
because the lower level courses tend to make it sound like a proven
fact). Someone just "told a story" something like: "What if matter were
made up of little particles called atoms, that have such and such
properties. What would the world be like if that were true?" Then
experiments were designed to test whether the world is the way it should
be, if the story were true. Many things about the world make it seem
like atoms are real, and a few things are still problematic, but the
science goes on trying to refine the story.

So when we say "What if speakers intend their messages to be
interpretable? And what if iconicity would help messages be more
interpretable in such and such a way? How would that affect the
structure of human communicative systems?" I think we are doing pretty
much what the physicists are doing -- telling a story that has more or
less value depending on how much observable data are explained by it.
Statistical universals are (part of) the observable data.

Tom