(pseudo-)generalizations and explanations

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Sat Oct 4 21:35:24 UTC 2003

I'm not sure what I said that Martin took to suggest that my value
judgments represent absolute values.  My statement was intended solely as
an expression of my own subjective value judgment.  The attitude that
crosslinguistic generalizations (like descriptions of particular languages)
without explanation are of limited value is so widely held that I felt a
need to share the alternative view.

I have long thought it odd that the grammar of value judgments (e.g. "I
think that that is a good song") is the same (at least in English) as the
grammar of absolute statements (e.g. "I think that he is a tall man").

Matthew

--On Thursday, October 2, 2003 8:47 AM +0200 Martin Haspelmath