pseudo-generalizations

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Sep 28 05:01:34 UTC 2003

language structure itself.

Tom Payne

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]
On Behalf Of Leon Stassen
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 3:09 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: pseudo-generalizations

The point that Matthew Dryer raises in the current discussion on method
in
typology is of course a very real one:

>Hopefully, the problem is obvious: it is natural for 5% of
generalizations
>to come out as statistically significant at the .05 level, not because
they
>are valid generalizations, but simply due to chance.

Since there is no real way of telling the useful generalizations from
the
spurious ones, it is very probable that Matthew is also right on the
following:

>I predict that pseudo-generalizations of this sort will be published in
the
>typological literature, and there will be little way to distinguish
these
>from valid generalizations.  Perhaps some already have been published.

But then, this is not very different from the real-existing situation in
other sciences. I don't think there's a principled way to exclude
pseudo-generalizations, but fortunately, science itself has a way of
eliminating them, namely by letting them wither gradually. The key-word
is
"explanation" here: any generalization for which, after a certain amount
of
time, no explanation in terms of higher, abstract principles can be
given
will come to be disregarded and will disappear from the theoretical
discussion in the field. Of course, it is possible that this "selection
process" will also sacrifice generalizations that, by later generations
of
scientists, will be found to be highly relevant; but that's, I fear, the
way the scientific cookie crumbles.

Leon Stassen.