Dependent vs. independent verb forms

paoram at UNIPV.IT paoram at UNIPV.IT
Thu Apr 15 15:46:54 UTC 2004

> Q3: a case exactly similar to Armenian is Hindi/Urdu, where the to-day
> subjunctive is the old Sanskrit present (used in middle Indian for non
> past
> and up to the XIXth century optionnally for indicative
> present/subjunctive/future, while new forms were in the process of
> grammaticizing for present and future): kare do-3s < Scrt karasi,
> do-3s-prest. The to-day future is formed by suffixation of a go-aux to
> this
> tense (person marked): kare-ga, do-3s-go-ms "he will do", and the to-day
> general present is of the "is doing" type (karta hai "doing-ms is", he
> does), a form previously used with a specific and general meaning (XIXth
> c.), now only in the general meaning since a new periphrastic present with
> "stay" aux. developped for the specific progressive meaning.
> Q2: an example in the same family of languages of a deverbal adj
> integrated
> in the verbal paradigm is the Eastern Indo-Aryan future (Bengali,
> Maithili,
> Eastern dialectal Hindi speeches such as Bhojpuri): the Sanscrit verbal
> adjective in -tavya (meaning close to Latine -endus form. Kartavya: whis
> has
> to be done > duty, with still the meaning "duty" in standard Hindi) gave
> a -b- future with now personal endings added: Bengali karbo do-b-1s, "I
> will
> do", Old Eastern Hindi had forms without personal endings (karab, will
> do).

The traditional theory is that in many IE languages infinitives are
remnants of verbal nouns with case endings. Lat -ere would be a Locat. The
same would hold for OInd. infinitive forms, etc.As a matter of fact, it is
not possible to reconstruct a common IE infin. form. Every IE linguistic
tradition had to 'invent' its own infinitive.
Best, Paolo