Debate: Reproducibility in Typology

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Aug 24 15:13:54 UTC 2004

Like other surveys, typological surveys should be reproducible. What
this could mean, for instance, is that after someone finds that two
features correlate in a sample of 50 languages using a certain sampling
method, someone else tries to reproduce the results using a totally
different sample and a different sampling method, to see whether the
results still hold.

Typology would profit from such work, but the problem is that the
authors wouldn't profit sufficiently -- merely replicating a known
finding is far less prestigious than coming up with a new one. I wonder
whether "Linguistic Typology" would publish a paper that merely confirms
(or merely disconfirms, for that matter) a known typological fact.

But reproducibility would show that typology really is a science. Maybe
one reason people do not do it is that they are not so convinced that is
not art after all. Especially the application of definitions to
different languages is not something that can be done totally
mechanically, and it is hard to get rid of the element of subjectivity.
For instance, Bybee, Perkins & Pagliuca 1994 ("The evolution of
grammar") note on p. xvii that they had to work very hard to ensure that
the coding by the three authors yielded similar results. They were happy
when they had reached ninety percent inter-coder reliability.

Martin Haspelmath

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6