so-called "pro-drop" languages

Marcel Erdal erdal at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Tue Feb 10 12:29:11 UTC 2004

In Old Turkic sentences lacking an explicit (lexical, pronominal,
morphological) subject, the context may enable subject tracking (= pro-drop)
or it may not. In this latter case there is a relevant 'empty position' - in
accordance with David Gil's parameter (d): The sentence is meant to hold for
any relevant subject (similar in content to 'one', German 'man' etc.). I
don't think this is the same as Gilbert Lazard's "enonces effectivement
'sans sujet'" either, as the matter takes place with all types of verbs.
Marcel Erdal