Tense marking on NPs

Sadler L G louisa at ESSEX.AC.UK
Wed Jan 21 07:40:43 UTC 2004

>From Rachel Nordlinger and Louisa Sadler

Hi

In a series of  papers we have looked at a
wide variety of cases of nominal tense marking, including both cases in
which tense marking occurring on nouns (and other elements within the NP)
serves to temporally locate the nominal (which we call variously Nominal
Tense with Nominal Scope and Independent Nominal Tense)--- the cases that
the current postings concern ---  and cases in which
tense marking occurring on nouns (and other elements within the NP) serves
to temporally locate the verbal predicate itself (which we call variously
Nominal Tense with Clausal Scope and Propositional Nominal Tense).

Most relevant to the current query is a paper we have under review for
journal publication : Rachel Nordlinger and Louisa Sadler "Nominal Tense
in Crosslinguistic Perspecetive", in which we provide an overview of the
different types of nominal tense marking which we have found in the
languages we have looked at including a numbefr of the languages mentioned
in this thread -- please contact us if you would like a copy of the
current draft, which contains data from a considerable
number of languages.

Alongside this more typologically oriented paper we have a more
theoretical paper on nominal tense with clausal scope, that is, on cases
in which tense marking on the nominal dependent is interpreted with
respect to the verbal predication (where the verb itself may or may not
carry temporal features). This paper provides an analysis of this
propositional nominal TAM within the framework of LFG building on and
extending the account of Kayardild modal case presented in Rachel's
thesis: Rachel Nordlinger Constructive Case (CSLI Publications 1998).
This paper will appear in NLLT as Rachel Nordlinger and Louisa Sadler
  "Tense Beyond the Verb", sometime soon we hope.

More preliminary discussion of some of this data and how an account of it
may be given within the framework of LFG is to be found in a number of
earlier and shorter papers we have contributed to proceedings of LFG conferences:

Rachel Nordlinger and Louisa Sadler (2000) "Tense as a Nominal Category":
Proceedings of LFG 2000:
www-csli.stanford.edu/publications/LFG/5/lfg00.html

Louisa Sadler and Rachel Nordlinger (2001) "Nominal Tense: A Preliminary
Sketch": Proceedings of LFG 2001:
www-csli.stanford.edu/publications/LFG/6/lfg01.html

Louisa Sadler and Rachel Nordlinger (2003) "The Syntax and Semantics of
Tensed Nominals" Proceedings of LFG 2003
www-csli.stanford.edu/publications/LFG/8/lfg03.html