Doctoral fellowships at Rice University

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at RICE.EDU
Mon Dec 5 21:36:22 UTC 2005

The Department of Linguistics at Rice University in
Houston, Texas is pleased to announce that competition
for fellowships and admission to our doctoral program for
Fall, 2006 is now open.  We invite talented students with
degrees in linguistics and other related fields to visit our
newly reconstructed website at
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~ling/programs.html
for information about our graduate program, including
information regarding application procedures and deadlines.
Additionally, you may contact the graduate advisor, Dr.
Nancy Niedzielski, at niedz at rice.edu, for more information.

The Department of Linguistics at Rice adopts a functional,
usage-based approach to language and linguistic theory.
A number of recurrent themes emerge in faculty research and
the degree programs offered: in-depth investigation of
languages, coupled with the search for cross-linguistic
generalization; the effects of semantics, language-in-use,
sociocultural factors, and other functional influences that
motivate and constrain linguistic form; grounding of theories in
solid empirical data of many sorts; an interest in the relation
between language and mind; and interest in discourse and
social/communicative interaction more generally. The faculty
possess a broad range of interests, including:

       * cognitive/functional linguistics
       * typology and language universals
       * field studies in American Indian, Australian,
         Austronesian, African, and other languages
       * sociolinguistics
       * discourse studies
       * phonetics and speech processing
       * laboratory phonology