What about how

Erdal at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE Erdal at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Mon Mar 21 07:55:48 UTC 2005

Hallo,
My experience from Greek, Turkish or Hebrew is that pos, nasIl and eyx 'how'
(respectively) are used for countering utterances mainly when they include a
negation (Pos dhen theli!?! / NasIl iste-mi-yo !?! / Eyx lo rotse !?! 'What do
you mean "he doesn't want" !?!' meaning 'I'm sure he does / will'). This is
probably because the literal meaning of 'how' is more readily excluded by the
addressee when the utterance is negative (though rhetorical questions in any
case have different intonations). Note that this 'how' challenges not only
propositions but any type of modal utterance as well.
Marcel