Where's where

Scott DeLancey delancey at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Mar 21 18:05:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, David Gil wrote:

> Hence this call: please send me examples of languages in which (you are
> sure that) the phenomenon of 'where' or some other content interrogative
> word being used to express emphatic negation is NOT present.  One such
> language is English.

Not quite sure about that.  In English all the WH- words can be spoken
with a specific "incredulous" intonation contour to express disbelief
of a proposition:  What?!?   In response to a statement "I know somebody
who's good friends with the President", one could reply "Who?" with
ordinary intonation, which is a request for information, or with an
abrupt falling intonation that clearly expresses doubt about the truth
of the statement.  Not quite negation per se, but I imagine this kind
of thing is the origin of some of the more thoroughly grammaticalized
examples that have been offered.

Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics
1290 University of Oregon