ALT Junior Prize

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Fri May 6 10:11:52 UTC 2005

Dear Bernhard, Dear Fellow Typologists,

Earlier this week Bernhard Wälchli announced his decision not to accept
the ALT Junior Prize that has been jointly awarded to him and myself
(see the message quoted below). I very much agree with Bernhard on the
importance of cooperation among typologists. As we all know, there is a
lot of competition involved in the exercise of scholarship, and
competition, especially for academic positions, may lead to unnecessary
and long lasting problems in personal relationships between scholars.
So, I could not agree more, we should indeed do everything we can to
endorse cooperation and friendship in our generation of typologists.

I do not, however, see the ALT Junior Prize as an institution that
creates counter-productive competition -- nobody loses in this game
(contrary to what may happen when academic positions are at stake).
According to the jury, all entries in the competition were of a very
high standard, and I think we all agree that it is next to impossible to
find objective ways for measuring the quality of theses and saying that
one is better than another; another jury would probably have evaluated
the theses differently and announced different winners. Instead of
contributing to a competitive atmosphere and thus having a negative
influence on cooperation between typologists, the award can have a very
positive effect in making typology more visible for linguists of any
theoretical or methodological persuasion.

I applaud the suggestions that Bernhard makes. Writing a common volume
is a great idea, and I will be glad to accept Berhard's invitation to
co-edit such a volume. We postdoctoral typologists should really get
together and think about cooperative ways of promoting our results. The
suggestion to announce doctoral theses on the Lingtyp-list is also very
welcome, and I think it would be in everybody's best interest if
information on MA theses of strong typological relevance were also made
available to the community through the list.

I have mixed feelings about Bernhard's decision not to accept the award.
I respect the decision as a manifestation of a strong personal vocation.
By announcing his decision, Bernhard has also been able to draw
everybody's attention to the issues that he has taken up -- the
importance of cooperation and the practical measures he has suggested.
But I do also regret Berndhard's decision -- I think everybody would be
happier to attend two "junior plenaries" rather than just one, and
personally I would feel much better to share the experience with
Bernhard. Therefore I invite you, Bernhard, to reconsider your decision.
You have made an important initiative, your points are well-taken, and I
hope to see you in Padang where we can all get together and discuss
details of our future cooperation.

I would actually like to suggest that we start discussing these issues
immediately. Some of the people who sent their theses to the Junior
Award jury may already have contacted Bernhard, and I suggest that
everyone who has recently defended a typological Ph.D. dissertation (or
will soon finish one), and is willing to take part in these initiatives,
send a message to Bernhard, who can then create a collection of e-mail
addresses or a small mailing list where we can pursue the issues.

Best wishes to all,
Matti Miestamo
University of Helsinki