Fwd: coordination

hartmut at RUC.DK hartmut at RUC.DK
Fri Sep 23 06:49:06 UTC 2005

I'm trying to understand the question.

If I remember the original discussion of gapping far back in the last century
correctly, the possibilities in the directionality of gapping were strongly
tied to SOV/SVO considerations; it was even discussed if one could decide the
notorious issue whether German is ("underlying") SOV or SVO with reference to
gapping directionality.

On the face of it, the idea that forward gapping is possible in SVO languages
but not in SOV languages is plausible (statistically), and makes sense (which
would provide an explanation).

But Basque and Yoruba seem to be counterexamples.

Basque is SOV and allows for forward gapping, Yoruba is SVO and does not allow
forward gapping.

Hence, a different hypothesis is needed. Here comes the new idea: forward
gapping is only allowed in languages that have a "unified" coordinator.

If a strong correlation can be shown, this would be extremely interesting. Among
other reasons, because it would release os from the necessity to classify all
languages into permutations of S, V, and O. (My favorite example is Modern
Greek: usually considered SVO, while the statistically most frequentt word
order is V(S)O. - (S) because of pro-drop. - But Greek has a unified
coordinator kai, so it ought allow for forward gapping.)

But a statistical correlation and an explanation are two quite different things.
Can we say that the new hypothesis makes sense? And in which way?

It could actually be that unified coordination and forward gapping are only
indirectly related, because their cooccurrence is dependent on a third factor,
not discussed so far.

I would therefore be cautious with formulations like "therefore forward gapping
is disallowed", if "therefore" is meant to refer to some explanatory link
("accordingly" might be safer to write).

Hartmut Haberland