YES and NO

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Apr 6 14:51:23 UTC 2006

Dear all,

here a little bit of brain storming, nothing more. Alex' wonderful
presentation of the Oceanic data as well as Michael's remarks on East
Caucasian remind me of a talk Theo Vennemann (Munich) once gave at our
University. He talked abot the yes/no patterns in Europe dwelling upon
the question whether the distribution of languages with yes/no-'words'
(e.g. German) and those with positive/negative sentential echoes ('(s)he
did/n't, it is/n't etc. with many variants) (e.g. Celtic with impacts on
Old English etc.) is more than just coincidental. I do not want to go
into the details here, but Theo's talk has raised the question whether
a) yes/no-strategies are a universal of language at all, whether b) the
lexicalization of yes/no-words has common pathways in the languages of
the world. Naturally, the discussion did not come to any defnite
conclusion, still it made me thinking of the following:

For methodological reasons, we should clearly distinguish between what
Alex has called vocal gestures and yes/no-words or yes/no-constructions.
Vocal gestures seem to be sound symbolic in nature, and it would be
highly interesting to collect a larger typological sample of vocal
yes/no-gestures to see whether they share common features (both for
their semantics and their 'form'). For instance, I do not think that it
is just coincidental that in Alex examples, [ô] has a falling contour
tone (> 'yes'), whereas [óòó] ends with a final rise (> 'no'). This
correlates with the general observation that a falling prosodic pattern
is frequently associated with the expression of certainty, whereas a
final rising pattern indicates uncertainty etc. (compare German [jà]
'yes' (certain) vs. [já] 'is it really so? I doubt / am amazed, wonder'
(uncertain). The natural outcome of 'uncertainty' in a communicative
situation seems to be some kind of (graded) 'negation' (e.g. S1: I will
go! S2: Do you? (I don't think so) > 'no') [by the way, this observation
correponds to the well-known relationship between negation and
interrogation]. This way, a vocal gesture indicatiing 'no' can at least
in parts be derived from its 'positive' counterpart. On the other hand,
the expression of 'no' does not seem to be an obligatory technique to
negate the utterance of a speaker. We can also do without, compare: S1:
I will go to the market. S2: You stay here! Here, negation emerges from
the use of more or less antonymic expressions. A vocal gesture may then
support and strengthen this antonymic expression, leading to some kind
of negative assertion. Interestingliy enough, such vocal gestures seem
to have their own formal patterns, as can be seen for instance from the
paralinguistic usage of clicks (see WALS, map 142). For instance, some
German speakers know the use of the dento-alveolar click in the sense of
'no' only if it is reduplicated, whereas it expresses amazement when
spoken out more than two times. Likewise in German, we have the
combination ['m-'m] (' = glottal stop with nasalization) to indicate
'no', but the simple form ['m] does not work at all. The same holds for
German ['ä/n-'ä/n] (/n = slight nazalization). I am left with the
impression that vocal gestures have their proper patterns which may be
both universal and particularized in nature.

I do not know whether the same holds for vocal gestures expressing
'yes'. In German, we have a form ['`m´m`m] ('m with high-low-high) which
indicates some kind of 'yes' (and which clearly goes against what I have
said above for the opposition [ô] vs. [óòó]), but that's another issue).
Else, we sometimes see the combination of a laryngeal + vowel (often a
back vowel), e.g. [ho] in Udi (East Caucasian) or Georgian. There are
-as far as I can see - no such constraints on simple vs. reduplicated etc.

The lexical expression of yes/no may have sometimes evolved from vocal
gestures, though I do not know of any language that has for instance
lexicalized (and grammaticalized) the type of paralinguistic clicks
mentioned above. Interestingly enough, yes-words seem to be much more
transparent as for their etymology than no-words. This holds especially
if the yes-word does not stem from a vocal gesture. Sources may be for
instance modal deictic terms ('so', 'thus' etc.), terms related to
'truth'-concepts and so on. No-words are often taken from or derived
from a verbal negator, which makes me think that many no-words reflect
older echoe-techniques mentioned above. But then we arrive at the
question, where verbal negators stem from. In a number of languages, we
can reconstruct a verbal negator for the protolanguage (e.g. IE *ne,
Southern East Caucasian *t:e etc.) which illustrates that verbal
negators often are rather old in form (contrary to yes/no-words, which
are frequently borrowings). But it is difficult to relate such a
reconstructed negator to another meaning (thus claiming that such a
negator has come about via metonymy, metaphorization or the like). One
option would be interrogative words/morphemes (e.g. is Turkish -mI-
(negation and  mI = interrogation just coincidental?), see above for
this assumption (I know that people usually derive certain interrogative
markers from a negative construction, but must it be alwas this way?).

Best
Wolfgang

Best,
Wolfgang