compounding and attributive modification

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Jan 30 13:46:00 UTC 2006

There's a paper by Laurie Bauer (in the 2-volume handbook "Language
typology and language universals, ed. by Haspelmath et al., 695-707) on
"Compounding" in a typological perspective, where he investigates this
and related questions in a world-wide sample of 36 languages.

He finds that there seems to be a unidirectional implication from AdjN
order to ModHead order in compounds: his sample has only a single
language (from South America) with AdjN and HeadMod order (p. 697):

NAdj & HeadMod 10
NAdj & ModHead 11
AdjN & HeadMod 1
AdjN & ModHead 9

Thus, Ulwa's pattern (NAdj & ModHead) is actually the majority pattern
in Bauer's sample. But note that such typological data cannot be used
for or against a particular synchronic description anyway, because Bauer
cannot claim to have looked only at "real" adjectives, to the exclusion
of "apparent" adjectives that "in reality" are internally headed
relative clauses. Maybe "in reality" all 11 languages in Bauer's sample
are like Ulwa...

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6