Case/adposition/flag, etc.

Stig Eliasson eliasson at MAIL.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Wed Jul 12 19:27:08 UTC 2006

Dear Michael and others,

The term "flag" is used by R.L. Trask, "The history of Basque" (London &
New York: Routledge, 1997, pp. 106, 227f., 245f.) to designate a morph that
foreshadows another morpheme in the Basque finite synthetic verb. In his
words, "[t]he term 'flag' denotes an extra morph which almost always
precedes a dative agreement-marker" (ibid. 106), and "[w]hen a dative
agreement-marker is present, it is almost invariably preceded by a flag"
(ibid. 227).

Stig Eliasson

Martin et al:  I've recently been using the expression 'relational
morphology' to refer to the [often overlapping] sets of grammatical
relational morphemes and locative morphemes.  At least in some contexts,
the expression has the virtue of being neutral as to whether the items in
question are true affixes, clitics, or words.  As a shorthand term,
'relator' would be fine.  'Case', I think, should be avoided for this set
as it has legitimate alternative uses.  'Flag' would be acceptable since
it has no other uses in linguistics, but it is a bit opaque.  I would
therefore opt for 'relator'.

Mickey