case/adposition term

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Wed Jul 12 23:12:32 UTC 2006

Dear typologists,
We may be reminded of the recognition widely accepted in
the past of mainly three types of grammatical relations,
or bonds, which are the essence of all syntactical ties,
viz. (1) the predicative, (2) the attributive and (3) the
"objective". This theory also became a cornerstone of
typological research, which recognized, by the way, the
Semitic three-case system as the epitome of ideal agreement
between perception of the syntactic relations and the formal
marking of grammatical cases. This view was held by some of
the most distinguished linguists of old, such as K. F. Becker,
H. Steinthal, F. Misteli, F. N. Finck, Ernst Lewy. The recognition
of three (or four) basic syntactical relations was also central
in the doctrine of Russian linguists like Smirnickij (Smirnitsky)
with his many disciples and Uspenskij.
Claude's comment is important, viz that it should be kept in mind
that a postposition is not exactly the same phenomenon as a
declension case. Where postpositions develop historically into
case endings, it is in fact a process of grammaticalization.
As a general term needed in typological studies, "relator", as
suggested by Claude Hagege is better than any combination with
"case" that might be misleading.	Best regards, Gideon.