perception verbs used as deictic (or non-deictic) presentational particles

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at UNESCO.ORG
Tue May 2 06:40:19 UTC 2006

Dear Nick,

Formal Arabic 'inna corresponds to what you are looking for:

'Inna is a formal clause-initial highlighting functor, which may be used to highlight clause-initial definite nouns (3), and must be used in the case of clause-initial indefinites (5, 6) in formal Arabic. It originally meant something like "behold", which accounts for the accusative case-marking. The cognate Hebrew hinne is said to be responsible for the countless instances of Lo, Behold, and Verily which abound in the King James version of the Old Testament.

(1)     [jâ'a]V [l-'aulâd-u]S  		VS order, definite subject
	came.m the-children.nom
	the children came
(2)     [al-'aulâd-u]S [jâ'û]V		SV order, definite subject, without 'inna
	the-children-nom they.came
	the children came
(3)     'inna [l-'aulâd-a]S [jâ'û]V		SV order, definite subject,  with 'inna
	lo the-children-acc they.came
	the children came
(4)     [jâ'a] [aulâd-un kathîr-ûn]		VS order, indefinite subject
	came.m children-nom.indef many-m.pl.nom
	many children came
(5)     *[aulâd-un kathîr-ûn]S [jâ'û]V	SV order, indefinite subject, starred without 'inna
	children-nom.indef many-m.pl.nom they.came
(6)     'inna [aulâd-an kathîr-în]S [jâ'û]V	SV order, indefinite subject,  obligatorily with 'inna
	lo children-acc.indef many-m.pl.acc they.came
	many children came
Best,

Steve Hewitt
Bureau PI-106