Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri May 12 05:42:14 UTC 2006

Am 12.05.2006 7:08 Uhr schrieb "Nick Bailey" unter
<nicholas_bailey at SIL.ORG>:

> László Honti also suggested there might be something in Veps (Finnic) based on
> nähdä ‘see'.

Veps and some Karelian varieties do have a pronoun "nece" (c = shushing
affricate, "tsh") that goes back to a combination of '(you) see' and the
demonstrative pronoun 'it' or 'this' (Finnic _se_, in Northern Finnic
typically distal or anaphoric, in southern Finnic proximal). Similarly
another Finnic language, Vote: "kase" 'this', the first syllable of which
reflects _katso-_ 'look'. These, however, are no presentational particles
but regular deictic demonstrative pronouns.

Finnish has the particles _ka_ and _kas_ also going back to _katso-_, with
(discursive) functions hard to describe. As far as I can say, these are no
presentational particles in the sense of French _voilà_, although "kas
tässä" (with _tässä_ 'here') probably comes close to _voici_. Similarly
probably Estonian "vaat" (from "vaata" 'look!') -- its function is not
clearly "presentational", and this spectrum of "related" functions (calling
the hearer's attention, filling a pause, initiating a turn in discourse
etc.) needs further elaboration.

Best,
JL
--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien € Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und