Comp in matrix sentences

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Sep 18 14:08:49 UTC 2006

Hi Annarita,

How do you define a "complementizer"? Most people would probably define
it as an element that occurs in subordinate (especially complement)
clauses and marks the subordinate status of such sentences. Given this
definition, it's not easy to see how a matrix complementizer could exist.

What could of course exist is an element that most prominently functions
as a complementizer, but under some limited circumstances may also occur
in independent clauses (e.g. German dass, in directives such as "Dass du
mir ja nicht zu spät kommst!" 'Don't dare to come too late.') But here
most people would either say that this is a different element (with only
diachronic connections to the other dass), or that its main-clause use
is a secondary extension from the subordinate clause.

Of course, a few languages have declarative markers that are absent in
other sentence moods (and perhaps in subordinate clauses), e.g. Korean.
But these would not normally be called "complementizers".

Regards,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6