Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Tue Aug 7 17:50:28 UTC 2007

English 'they' is usually assumed to have been borrowed from an Old Norse
demonstrative and personal pronoun.

In the Tibeto-Burman languages of which I have some knowledge, I'm not
aware of any instances of borrowing of personal pronouns, even among
languages which have borrowed extensively, including grammatical
affixes/clitics.

Mickey Noonan

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Florian Siegl wrote:

> Dear fellow typologists,
>
> I'm looking for instances and references concerning personal pronoun
> borrowing [equivalents of I, YOU, HE] in Eurasia. Available literature
> concentrates on the Americas, South and South-East Asia but as far as
> Eurasia is concerned, I have not yet found more instances than one clear
> example (Ket --> Forest Enets). However, this example did not make it
> into the general literature so far and I wonder if pronoun borrowing is
> really so extraordinary in Eurasia and whether there are no other known
> instances.
>
> My second question concerns pronouns in a global context; Are there any
> languages attested whose personal pronouns are derived from lexemes such
> as body or any other possible body part and if yes, are these pronouns
> considered to be etymologically old or are they more recent
> grammaticalizations? Any reference welcome...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Florian Siegl

Michael Noonan
Professor of Linguistics