Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Stefan Georg Georg-Bonn at T-ONLINE.DE
Tue Aug 7 20:36:28 UTC 2007

Austroasiatic Khasi in Meghalaya (surrounded by Tibeto-Burman
languages) has a 1st sg pronoun /nga/, which is quite obviously
borrowed (or "copied", as fashion dictates to say) from Tibeto-Burman
(read: some TB source, not necessarily proto-TB).

The textbook version of the Sino-Tibetan hypothesis holds, of course,
that Chinese and TB pronouns are cognate. Recent work on ST (Sagart,
Beckwith) has, however, presented some highly interesting arguments
in favour of a prehistoric borrowing scenario, which makes TB *nga a
borrowing from (some early form of) Chinese - in a nutshell: there
are philological arguments that /nga/ in Chinese is not the oldest
form of the 1st p. sg. pronoun, but arouse during the documented
history of Chinese; on the other hand, the distributional pattern of /
nga/ within TB points to borrowing in some non-adjacent areas of the
TB territory, while the original 1st sg pronouns seems to have been
rather *ka. This is not the communis opinio in ST studies so far, and
I hasten to add that the ST hypothesis is not over and done with, but
it is, so to speak, under fire.

So-called "Altaic" languages do share pronouns, and this has been
widely used as one of the major arguments in favour of the
genealogical relationship of Turkic, Mongolian and Tungus. The
alternative view (that "Altaic" is a convergence area, not a
divergent phylum) explains most (old and good) commonalities between
Turkic and Mongolian as borrowings in the latter from a subgroup of
the former, i.e. of Bolghar Turkic. Now, 1st and 2nd singular
pronouns of Turkic and Mongolian are compatible with this view, as
the Mongolian pronouns can be interpreted as showing "Bolghar-Turkic"
traits. Though the debate on "Altaic" goes on, the opinion that these
pronouns are indubitable signs of a relationship seems to be
shattered and early pronoun borrowing cannot be ruled out here.

Together with A.P. Volodin, I have, in a different century, lent
support to (yet another) criticism of a further genealogical
grouping, viz. Chukchi-Kamchatkan. If we were right, Itelmen would
have to be counted as another instance of a pronoun-borrowing
language (since it, of course, shares its pronouns with Chukchi and
Koryak). However, I now do think that our "attack" on Ch-Kamch was
not well-founded (for different reasons) and I renounced it, so this
may only count as an example for those who follow "me" here, which I
myself no longer do...
Foley, in "The Papuan languages of Neu Guinea", reports some cases of
pronoun borrowing (where, interestingly, 1st and 2nd p. swapped
positions between two languages - sorry for from-the-top-of-my-head
quotation, it will be easy to find in the book).

Since Ket has been mentioned, I cannot help mentioning an oblique
example, maybe on a less serious note: Ket has and preserves its
native personal pronouns, but when it comes to "written" Ket (there
is a cyrillic-based orthography, taught in a few schools and used in
a very limited number of publications by a very small number of
authors), we find quite a number of Russian personal pronouns used
where Ket pronouns would have to be expected (and certainly would
have been available) - this certainly being an example of first
language attrition, rather than of borrowing as such. A glaring
example slipped onto the cover page of my recently published
"Descriptive Grammar of Ket", where, in the sample of "Written Ket" I
used to decorate the dust-jacket, the header of the story reads "Et
digaraqng tIldingt" - "We live in the North", to be followed, in the
first line of the actual story, by: "My (= Russian 'we') digaraqng...'.

On the second question: body (-part) metaphors are quite common for
reflexive pronouns, e.g. Mongolian 'beye' "body = oneself", also used
(as a borrowing, of course), in, i.a., Manchu; cf. further Georgian
tavi "head", Arabic nafs "soul (if that counts as a body part) =
oneself" and probably many more examples.

Stefan Georg