Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Yaron Matras yaron.matras at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Aug 8 01:48:41 UTC 2007

V. Elšík & Y. Matras, 'Markedness and langauge change: The Romani sample'
(Mouton, 2006) and Y Matra 'Romani: A lingusitic introduction' (CUP, 2002)
contain examples of borrowing involving pronouns in Romani. In fact, the only
Romani personal pronoun involved at all in borrowing is the 3-PL (in various
dialects), which sometimes adopts a nominal plural ending that is also used to
form the 3 per pronominal plural in the contact language. Eg.

Romani 3PL 'on'
in contact with Hungarian > 'on-k'
in contact with Turkish > 'on-nar' (from 'on-lar')
in contact with Slovene > 'on-i'

the emerging forms are identical or very similar to the 3Pl pronouns in the
contact languages.

Some notes on pronominal borrowing appear in A. Siewieska's book on 'Person'
(CUP, 2004?).

I personally would not consider under the same heading either Mixed Languages
(where pronouns often pattern with the lexifier language), due to the special
circumstances of their emergence, or the cited (south)east Asian examples
(Malay and Indonesian and Thai all borrow pronominal forms), since these are
highly lexicalised terms of address/terms of reference, and are not
functionally equivalent to deictic and anphoric pronouns.

Concerning bodyparts -- some years ago there was a discussion on
LinguistList on
whether AAE 'my ass, your ass' etc constituted genuinely grammaticalised
pronouns. A scene from the Borat-movie suggests that they do (young African
Americans provide Borat with 'our asses' as a translation equivalent
for 'we').

Secret languages ( = 'Sondersprachen') frequently form pronouns using the
formula 'possessor + Dummy' (e.g. Shelta 'my geel, your geel' etc), so the
choice of a bodypart my be secondary to the process, and simply one out of
several available Dummies.

Yaron Matras

--
Yaron Matras