Pronouns: follow up

Eduardo Ribeiro kariri at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 8 17:58:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

In (Brazilian) Portuguese, French *moi* is commonly used informally, mainly
in a sort of tongue-in-cheek "style."  I suspect this usage can be
considered as typical of female speech, an impression that seems to
be corroborated by a quick internet search (look up "pra cima de *moi*",
"para *moi*", etc.).  Notice that diminutive *moizinha* 'little me (fem.)'
is also common, unlike *moizinho* "little me (masc.)'.

By the way, is anyone aware of clear cases of pronoun borrowing in Native
American languages (particularly, South American ones)?  The only case in
the literature I'm aware of is Pirahã, where pronouns would have been
borrowed from Tupi-Guarani, according to Dan Everett and Sally
Thomason--although, in my opinion, this is so far an unproven (maybe even
unprovable) hypothesis.  Any additional examples?

Best,

Eduardo