AW: AW: word order of cardinals

bingfu Lu lubingfu at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 22 14:14:53 UTC 2007

Dear Mathew,
  Thanks for your valuable feedback!
  We may to check Sino-Tibetan:MIRISH: Gallong, which may be called Jiarong in Mandarin.  Could you please tell us the relevant source of references?

  I am very interested in your data as follows:
  AdjN&OrdN  17
  AdjN&NOrd  2
  NAdj&OrdN  9
  NAdj&NOrd  46

  May the data indicates that in general, ordinals tend to precede N more strongly than adjectives do?  This may follow the principle I called IP (Identifiability Precedence), which states that the more identifiability a modifier contributes to its mother NP, the more it tends to precede. Relevant data includes the following. While most adjectives follow cardinals in English, those that make the mother NPs definite can precede cardinals, such as in ¡®the following/biggest five balls¡¯, ¡®use left three lanes¡¯ (highway sign), ¡®the last/next three pages¡¯.

  Best
Bingfu

Matthew Dryer <dryer at BUFFALO.EDU> wrote:  It is not really accurate to say that Greenberg did not distinguish cardinal and ordinal
numerals. Rather, he followed common usage in using the expression "numeral" to
denote cardinal numerals. Hence all of his claims about numerals were claims about
cardinal numerals.

My typological database contains data on the order of ordinal numeral and noun for a
small number of languages. The numbers of the four possible types for the two orders
of cardinal numeral and noun and or ordinal numeral and noun are as follows, where
'Num' denotes a cardinal numeral and 'Ord' denotes an ordinal numeral:

NumN&OrdN 17
NumN&NOrd 14
NNum&OrdN 7
NNum&NOrd 31

While the type NNum&OrdN is the least frequent, it is by no means rare, since there are
only twice as many (14 versus 7) of the type NumN&NOrd.

The seven languages I code as NNum&OrdN are as follows, where the first item, not in
all caps, is the name of the family, the second item, in caps, is the name of the genus,
and then a list of the languages in that genus with this order:

Niger-Congo:ADAMAWA-UBANGIAN: Gbeya Bossangoa, Linda, Zande.
Afro-Asiatic:BIU-MANDARA: Gude.
Sino-Tibetan:MIRISH: Gallong.
Trans-New Guinea:EASTERN HIGHLANDS: Yagaria.
Trans-New Guinea:AWJU-DUMUT: Kombai.

As Thomas Stolz noted, the order of ordinal numeral and noun more closely follows the
order of adjective and noun. The relevant data is:

AdjN&OrdN 17
AdjN&NOrd 2
NAdj&OrdN 9
NAdj&NOrd 46

In other words, in 17+46=63 languages out of 74 (or 85%), the ordinal numeral occurs
on the same side of the noun as the adjective. Compare this with the fact that 48 out of
69 languages (or 70%) place the ordinal numeral on the same side of the noun as the
cardinal numeral. Or, put differently, an ordinal numeral is twice as likely to occur on
the opposite side of the noun from the cardinal numeral (30%) as it is to occur on the
opposite side of the noun from the adjective (15%).

Matthew Dryer

Quoting bingfu Lu :