Fwd: 18.2457, Diss: Psycholing/Syntax: Lorimor: 'Conjunctions and Grammatical Agr...'

bingfu Lu lubingfu at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 22 19:35:20 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

  This paper sounds interesting to me, since I am doing some investigation on the relation between the distance and the relational marking (cases, co-indexing, agreement etc) of the head and its dependents.   In many cases, the more distant the two constituents are, or the more deviated from its canonical position the dependent is, the more needed the relational marking is. Such examples are ample; for instance, in Chinese, when an adjective serves as an adverbial of the verb, if it is adjacent to or precedes the verb, the adverbial marker ¨Cde (similar to English ¨Cly) is optional; if it is separated from the head verb, or postponed after the verb (non-canonical position), the marker-de is necessary, as shown below.
  (1) a. Ta zai tushuguan renzhen(-de) zhao ziliao.  (Chinese)
            He in  library       cautious-ly   search data
           ¡®He is cautiously searching data in the library.¡¯
       b. Ta renzhen*(-de) zai tushuguan zhao ziliao.
  (2) a. Ta jianjian(-de) kangfu-le.
  he gradual(-ly) recuperate-PFCT
  ¡®He gradually recuperated (from an illness)
  b. Jianjian*(-de), ta kangfu-le
  c. Ta kangfu-le, jianjian*(-de).

  Similar data are ample cross-linguistically. To cite some from English:
   (3) a. He climbed (up) the mountain.              b. He climbed steadily *(up) the mountain.
  (4) a. He was my lover *(for) 20 years.              b. He was 20 years my lover.
  (5) a. I took three years *(of) Chinese.              b. I took Chinese *(for) three years.
  (6) a. John believes (that) Mary will win.
  b. John believes wholeheartedly *?(that) Mary will win.
  b.        *(That) Mary will win, John believes wholeheartedly.

  The number agreement in the dissertation seems to be a counter-example to the above tendencies.
  My first assumed explanation is that information redundancy works here. When the dependent is separated from its head word, or deviated from its canonical position, it tends to be forgotten if the marker is informationally redundant; it tends to be used  if it is not redundant.  However, redundancy is an issue of degree.  Such an explanation seems unattractive.
  My second assumed explanation is related to the formal markedness.  When the number agreement is dropped in English, it is actually using an extra marker ¨Cs on the verb, in contrast to the zero agreement form.  In other words, though  ¨Cs of singular third person of agreement is taken as unmarked in the sense that it is the most unconditioned, it is formally marked.  Such a contradiction between the formal and conditional unmarkedness leads to the malfunction of the above mentioned tendencies.

  I need more data both for and against the tendencies.

  Bingfu Lu
  Institute of Linguistics
  Shanghai Normal University
  China