nasality and negation

bingfu Lu lubingfu at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 30 13:59:12 UTC 2007

In Chinese, the words of negation has two basic form: m- and b-, the latter was developed from v-, which is still used in many dialects.  It seems they are all labial.

Östen Dahl <oesten at LING.SU.SE> wrote:  Otto Jespersen claims in his "Negation in English and other languages"
(1917) that there is a natural tendency for negative words to begin in n-.
When I did research on the typology of negation around 1980 I tried to see
if there were any such tendencies but the claim did not seem to be confirmed
in my materials. I do not know if anyone has done any more systematic count
since.

Östen Dahl