nasality and negation

Östen Dahl oesten at LING.SU.SE
Fri Aug 31 17:19:07 UTC 2007

Yes, before we try to find an explanation for the connection between
nasality and negation it is indeed a good idea to find out if such a
connection exists... :-) I just want to add one further difficulty here:
since phonemes such as /t/ and /n/ may well be overrepresented in
grammatical morphemes, we would need to check whether negative morphemes
differ from other morphemes of an equal degree of grammaticalization. This
will be tricky since the grammatical status of negative morphemes may also
vary. Thus, we should ideally compare negative affixes to other verbal
affixes and negative particles to similar particles in the language.

Östen