nasality and negation, again

Frans Plank Frans.Plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Fri Aug 31 17:59:42 UTC 2007

Now, if you, Matthew, or whoever, went ahead and did this project
properly, according to your specifications, and if it turned out that
there is, in some sense, a statistically significant connection
between negation (in one or the other or all of its possible senses)
and nasality (in one guise or another), but not an absolute
implication "If negation, then always a nasal":  What would that mean?

I believe this is a serious question.  My single little, ostensibly
non-serious anecdotal example from Konstanz Alemannic -- where a
negative marker has lost its nasal segment, itself of IE origin --
was intended to suggest that finding such a statistical correlation
perhaps wouldn't mean much, as far as the human brain, human
articulation, and human perception are concerned.  On my single piece
of evidence I'd be prepared to conclude -- as the only *linguistic*
conclusion -- that humans are free to either express negation through
nasal segments or not to express negation through nasal segments.  If
they, as learners, are confronted with a language where negation
happens to be expressed though a nasal, they can either reproduce
this state of affairs or change it, by way of just dropping the nasal
(without even needing a productive phonological rule obliterating all
alveolar nasals from onsets of grammatical, perhaps weak forms).

Well, not to be too negative, perhaps it IS of interest that in a
language family where,some 8000 years ago, negative markers were
innovated which happened to have a nasal in them, it occurred
relatively rarely that that nasal was sacrificed (say, to phonology)
by subsequent generations of learners (some 300 of them).

As I see it, a meaningful typological project then would have to be a
diachronic one.  First, we'd have to look at the source expressions
for the grammaticalisation of negative markers, across languages.
The question here would be whether there is any skewing in favour or
disfavour of nasals at the stage of grammaticalisation.  (Are, say,
verbs of denying, or articulatory gestures of disgust, likelier to
grammaticalise as negative markers when they contain nasals than when
they don't?)  Second, we'd have to look at what happens to negative
markers once they have been grammaticalised, across languages.  The
questions would be (i) whether those that have a nasal in them are
less likely than other, non-negative (grammatical) forms to lose
their nasal over cycles of acquisition;  and (ii) whether or not
those that do not have a nasal are likelier than other, non-negative
(grammatical) forms to acquire a nasal (by whatever means --
spontaneous nasalisation, metanalysis of nasals from adjacent items,
...).

Within this project, I don't think, incidentally, that Larry's and
Derek's observations are "quite beside the point".  Their
observations would seem to me to mean that negative markers have been
successfully grammaticalised I don't precisely know how often (Lary
and Derek, more info please!), and that they have been re-learnt over
many cycles of acquisition, without nasal segments as favourable
factors at any stage.  It's this sort of diachronic demonstration
that I believe matters, linguistically speaking.  If we want to add
crosslinguistic statistics, they better be statistics about
diachronic events.

I wonder whether we are in agreement or disagreement over this
general conclusion.

Frans