Sound change

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Dec 15 15:26:45 UTC 2007

Not quite the same thing, but in the same ballpark:  the Proto-Semitic
voiced "emphatic" apical stop (corresponding to the Arabic DaD) went, in
Biblical Aramaic, to an unvoiced uvular stop, and from there to a voiced
pharyngeal fricative.

Wolfgang Schulze wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> just a brief question: Within the context of my research on Caucasian
> Albanian (Old Udi), I  came across a rather remarkable instance of
> 'sound replacement' in loans: A palatal voiceless fricative (<sh>) is
> (systematically?) replaced by a voiced pharyngeal stop. I wonder
> whether some of you have come across a parallel process in other
> languages...
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

> *Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
> Schulze
>   *

> /Primary contact:
>
>   /
>
> Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft
>
> Dept. II / F 13
>

> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
>

> Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1
>

> D-80539 München
>

> Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
> (Secretary)
>
>          0049-(0)89-2180-5343
> (Office)
>
> Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-5345
>

> Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
> <mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> /// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
> <mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>
>
> Web: http://www.als.lmu/de/mitarbeiter/index.php
>
> Personal homepage: http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com
>
>  ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> /Second
> contact:
>   /
>
> Katedra Germanistiký
>

> Fakulta humanitných
> vied
>

> Univerzita Mateja Béla / Banská
> Bystrica
>
> Tajovského
> 40
>

> SK-97401 Banská
> Bystrica
>

> Tel:
> (00421)-(0)48-4465108
>

> Fax: (00421)-(0)48-4465512
>

> Email: Schulze at fhv.umb.sk
> <mailto:Schulze at fhv.umb.sk>
>

> Web: http://www.fhv.umb.sk/app/user.php?user=schulze

David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321
Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/