query: metaphors for high/low pitch

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Jan 3 14:09:49 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I am posting the following query on behalf of a musicologist colleague,
Zohar Eitan (zeitan at post.tau.ac.il).  Please respond to *me* with
specific data (which I will compile and then pass on to the author of
the query), to the *lingtyp list* if you think your response is of
general interest, or to *Zohar Eitan* if you wish to discuss these
issues further with him.

The query:

In English (and other languages) auditory pitch is metaphorically mapped
onto spatial verticality ("high" vs. "low" notes, ascending vs.
descending melody).  I am interested in information on the ways diverse
languages designate the polarities of auditory pitch.  In particular:

1.  Is  the verticality metaphor used to designate auditory pitch poles
(i.e., equivalents of the English "high-low") and  the corresponding
pitch changes and ("ascend-descend") ?

2.  If so, is  the verticality-auditory mapping applied as in English
(e.g., female voices and flute sound are "high", male voices
and double-bass sounds are "low") or in  the _opposite_ way?

3. Are other antonyms (e.g., small-large, young-old) used as _general_
terms for the polarities of auditory pitch and for corresponding pitch
changes?

4.  Are any _specific_ terms used to designate "high" and "low" ranges
of  auditory pitch within certain contexts (e.g., the human voices, a
specific musical instrument)?  What, if any, are the metaphorical
mapping applied in using these terms?

Thanks,

Zohar

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321
Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/