Lexicalization of case markers

Henning Andersen andersen at UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 4 19:23:22 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I think Christian is right, one will have to look long before finding
good examples of case markers being lexicalized.

Eng. *bus* has long been recognized as a clipping, that is, part of a
lexical expression, created to stand in for the whole. At first a
stylistic variant of *omnibus*, *bus* soon became the primary
expression for 'bus' and in the minds of many speakers lost any
connection with *omnibus*. The *omnibus* connection has been
thoroughly forgotten, except by philologists.
The creation of *bus* had nothing to do with its original status of
case marker. Hence there is no reason to speak of it as a
degrammaticalization. Since it was part of a lexeme to begin with,
there is no lexicalization either. One might speak of its
codification as a clipped variant of *omnibus* and its subsequent
dissociation from it.

Fi. ta (+umlaut) similarly has the appearance of a clipping. It is as
yet merely a stylistic (casual speech) variant of the whole word for
'what'.
Since the clipped form of mita retains a grammatical function of
mita, there is no reason to speak of degramma(ticaliza)tion here. One
might wonder if it will be codified in the specific function 'what
did you say'; if so, one might consider describing the change as a
regramma(ticaliza)tion.

Here is a product of phonological deletion. In standard Russian,
initial /j/ is lost before /i/. Hence the pronominal stem /j-/ '3rd
person', which occurs in j-ovo [jivo] 'acc.gen.sg.masc.nt', j-omu
[jimu] 'dat.sg.masc.nt', etc. has no realization in j-im [im]
'instr.sg.masc.nt', j-ix [ix] 'acc.gen.loc.pl', j-im [im] 'dat.pl',
j-im'i [im'i] 'instr.pl'. In other words, the case endings /ix/,
/im/, /im'i/ serve as full words. But one might say that they imply
the phonologically zero stem /j-/.
(There are varieties of Russian where [j] has been restored
(analogical restitution) in these pronominal forms, though not before
any other, now initial, /i/ vowels.)
This example, too, involves neither degrammaticalization nor lexicalization.