plural agreement for singular subjects

Greville Corbett g.corbett at SURREY.AC.UK
Wed Jan 31 10:14:01 UTC 2007

I think the nice example Guillaume cites is an instance of the Œevasive
plural¹, avoiding the use of Œhe¹ or Œshe¹. (Some languages use a neuter to
evade the masculine/plural choice in related but not identical contexts.)

Other phenomena which are general, and which aren¹t I suspect what Stuart
has in mind, are:

1. associative uses of the plural or dual, in those instances where it is
just the agreement which shows associative use. For instance, in the Talitsk
dialect of Russian you say the equivalent of  Œmy brother have arrived¹ to
indicate my brother and family.
2. respect: e.g. dual agreement with a singular subject in Kobon, to show
respect
3. committee nouns in English: the committee have decided
4. instances of attraction: Rise in email viruses threaten net. (Guardian
4.Aug.2001)

Examples of all these are in Number and Agreement (CUP). What Stuart has is
a bit different.

Best

Grev
Greville Corbett

--
Greville G. Corbett

Surrey Morphology Group
CMC
School of Arts, Communication and Humanities
University of Surrey
Guildford                                   email: g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Surrey, GU2 7XH                             FAX:   +44 1483 686201
Great Britain                               phone:  +44 1483 682849
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/SMG/