Comprehensive Language Catalogue

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Jul 21 16:00:56 UTC 2007

Dear typologists,

In our efforts to achive a comprehensive catalogue of the world's
languages, we could be inspired by the Encyclopedia of Life project (see
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Scientists_to_bring_all_species_together_in_Encyclopedia_of_Life),
which has set itself the much more ambitious goal of cataloguing all the
world's species. The Enycyclopedia of Life people have a US$12.5m grant
-- maybe linguists could also get some rich people interested in this?
There should be some glamour in an Encyclopedia of Languages as well...

Incidentally, the webpage of the recent Leipzig workshop on a language
catalogue now contains most of the presentations (see
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~haspelmt/cat.html), so that you can get a
better sense of what we have been discussing here.

Greetings,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)