query: lexical stress in acronyms

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Mon Jul 30 12:24:59 UTC 2007

One little further point on alphabetisms:

A group of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts students might be referred to as:

all 'B.As and 'M.A.s (with contrastive stress on the first elements, where in isolation they would be B.'A., M.'A). This is like German 'PKW und 'LKW.)

But suppose we need to call a meeting of a group consisting of all Master of Arts students and all Teaching Assistants. Is this group:

all 'M.A.s and 'T.A.s
or
all M.'A.s and T.'A.s?

Does it make any difference how the abbreviation is unpacked?

Paul

> In Swedish, l-by-l acronyms with 3 letters have stress on the lfinal
> syllable (LFG, USA, PKK,
), whereas l-by-l with two letters have stress
> on the initial syllable (FN, BG, TT,
). I am currently away from my