the occurrence contrast between VOS and OVS orders

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Thu May 17 01:20:35 UTC 2007

>  Anyway, your data is different from all data I have seen so far. For example,
>  In WALS, Dryer provides the following contrast: VOS 26, OVS 9, in his 1228-language data.

This discrepancy can be explained by genetic bias. If you look at the
genera-statistics from the same Dryer data, which discounts for some, but
not all, genetic bias, the difference shrinks to 12 VOS vs. 7 OVS.
However, five of those VOS genera are Atayalic, Sulawesi, Sundic, Oceanic
and Borneo which are all solidly Austronesian and may have inherited their
VOS order from their ancestor (correct me those who know comp
Austronesian syntax better). Once this is discounted, we are down at
8 VOS vs. 7 OVS, which is similar to my data and is not statistically
significant.

all the best,