Call for papers: New Challenges inTypology 2

Alexandre Arkhipov arxipov at PHILOL.MSU.RU
Tue Nov 13 01:44:33 UTC 2007

Dear all,

This is a call for papers in the second volume of New Challenges in Typology, appealing to people who defended their dissertation on typology or typologically aware language description within the 2003-2006 period (in the vein of ALT Panini and Greenberg Awards).
You will find the details below as well as in the file attached. If you know of someone who is unlikely to receive this message but might be interested, please feel free to forward this to her/him.

Best regards,
Alexandre Arkhipov

Dear colleague,

We would like to invite you to contribute to a volume that we are editing, which will bring together papers by linguists who have defended a dissertation between 2003 and 2006. This will be the second volume of what will (we hope) be a series, entitled New Challenges in Typology, that presents the work of new scholars in the fields of typology and linguistic description. The first volume, New Challenges in Typology: Broadening the Horizons and Redefining the Foundations, was edited by Matti Miestamo and Bernhard Walchli (who came up with the original idea), and has just come out (published by Mouton). If all goes as planned, the second volume will also be published by Mouton and will be out in summer 2009 (before the next ALT meeting).

The basic idea for papers is the following. First, they should address some general implications of the thesis that constitute a contribution to linguistic theory (note that 'theory' is here construed broadly, and does not relate to any specific theory or formalism). Papers should not simply summarize the thesis, but should instead provide a discussion of themes addressed in the thesis that will be of interest to a wider linguistic audience, and will encourage readers to go beyond this paper and look further at your work. For many theses, particularly those written as grammars, it will probably be necessary to focus on a specific aspect of the work, but we urge you to choose a topic that is in some way representative of the grammar as a whole, and that also has wider implications for our understanding of language generally. We hope that the volume will promote an awareness of the theoretical relevance of typological and descriptive work, and will show that investigation of this kind has much to offer the wider linguistic community (regardless of particular theoretical orientation).

There will be presumably about 20 contributors, so for this reason the papers should be relatively short - no more than 20 pages in print, including references.

Some possible themes for papers are:

  a.. the contribution of the work to theoretical questions in linguistics ('theoretical' is here intended in a general sense, not aligned with any particular theory)
  b.. the contribution of the work to a subfield of linguistics (e.g. phonology, field linguistics, areal linguistics, etc.)
  c.. methodological implications of the research (e.g. sampling, approaches to fieldwork and grammar-writing, etc.)
  d.. any other aspect of the work that will be of interest to a wider linguistic audience

We'd very much appreciate it if those who are interested in contributing could let us know this as soon as possible. In particular we encourage those who submitted their dissertations for this year's ALT Panini or Greenberg Award.  We will need an abstract no later than January 1, 2008, and the papers themselves must be submitted by April 1, 2008 (our publication deadline of summer 2009 requires us to keep to a strict schedule). All the papers will only be accepted upon the acceptance of the abstract. We must emphasize that in addition to the overall quality and relevance of your submission, the compliance with the deadlines will be decisive.

Finally, it would be very helpful to us to have a copy of your thesis (in PDF if possible); this will help us plan the organization and presentation of the papers, and to have a better idea of what to expect from the various authors. We'd appreciate it if you send this soon, together with the short questionnaire that you'll find below.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Best,

Pattie Epps and Alexandre Arkhipov

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR PROPOSALS

Send to: <pepps at mail.utexas.edu> and <sarkipo at mail.ru>

Name:

E-mail:

Present affiliation(s):

Correspondence address:

Title of thesis:

Date of defense:

University, Department of defense:

Supervisor(s) of the thesis:

Opponents or reviewers of your thesis:

Working title of your proposed chapter (can be modified later):

150 word abstract of your proposed chapter: