Cross-linguistic encoding of sentence topics

Groot, C. de C.deGroot at UVA.NL
Sun Oct 14 10:49:23 UTC 2007

Dear Leon,

You may find some examples in Hungarian. The 'topic' (as you describe), may take the infinitive marker or the dative marker, as in

(1)    Mulat-ni Péter mulatott.
        enjoy-INF Peter enjoyed
       'Enjoy himself, Peter did.'

(2)   Vers-nek   vers-et írt.
       poem-DAT poem-ACC wrote
       'A poem, he wrote one.'

Reference:
Casper de Groot (1981) 'On Theme in Functional Grammar; an application to some constructions in spoken Hungarian'. In: T. Hoekstra et al. eds. Perspectives on Functional Grammar, 75-88. Dordrecht: Foris.

A general reference
Simon C. Dik (1997) The Theory of Functional Grammar. Part 2: Complex and Derived Constructions. 379-407, Chapter 17, 'Extra-clausal constituents' Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Best wishes, Casper