Imperfective marking in present tense

Östen Dahl oesten at LING.SU.SE
Sun Jan 20 12:09:26 UTC 2008

Dear all,

It is not quite clear what uses such a non-imperfective present tense form
could have. In languages with marked imperfectives, these tend to cover the
whole range of uses that present tenses usually have (e.g. in the Romance
languages). Progressives cover a more restricted area (like in English).
There may of course be forms that are transitional between progressive and
generalized imperfectives; maybe those are the ones Kazuha is thinking of.

With regard to Bardi, mentioned by Claire Bowern, a little more information
would be needed to make clear what's going on there. What's the distinction
between the incomplete and unmarked forms in the present?

Östen Dahl