Question on agentive nominalizations

Eduardo Rivail Ribeiro kariri at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 17 21:16:34 UTC 2008

Hello,

About Canela-Krahô, it might be important to notice that, although its agent
nominals' arguments "are signalled in the same way as verb-argument
relations in finite clauses", that doesn't mean much.  Indeed, the agent
nominal is preceded by its "object," and that would seem to mirror the
object's behavior in sentences (the language is SOV; main arguments bear no
overt morphological marking).  But that is also the same behavior with
genitive constructions, and its very likely that the construction
[object-agent.noun] is simply a genitive one, just as any other construction
involving two nouns in a genitive phrase.  It is also important to notice
that the "nominalizer" suffix which forms agent nouns is not exactly a
"nominalizer", since it attaches to nouns-- any kind of noun, in fact
(including deverbal nouns, but also basic, concrete nouns as well).  Such
situation can be reconstructed for Proto-Jê, and can be found in at least
one other Macro-Jê family, Karajá.

A recent, detailed discussion of this topic can be found in Andrés
Salanova's PhD thesis on Mebengokrê (a closely-related Northern Jê
language), available at http://web.mit.edu/kaitire/www/Docs/tesis-andres.pdf

Best,

Eduardo