Crackers

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at UNESCO.ORG
Tue Jun 24 15:26:33 UTC 2008

In Swedish, there is, from Språkrådets Lexin Swedish-English dictionary http://lexin2.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/swe-eng:

"The word spräcka is not in the dictionary!
However it exists in Swedish.

Swedish entry word
spräcker [spr'ek:er] spräckte spräckt spräck! spräcka verb
få att spricka [=get to crack (intr.)]
<A/x spräcker y>

English translation
crack, split

Examples
stenen spräckte rutan---the stone cracked the glass"

Best,

Steve Hewitt

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for ALT
[mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf Of Åshild Næss
Sent: 24 June 2008 16:27
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Crackers

As far as I can figure (and the Bokmålsordboka dictrionary online agrees
with me), the gap exists in Norwegian as well. I can say /Vasen sprakk/
'the vase cracked' or /Vasen er sprukket/ 'the vase is cracked, has a
crack in it' - but not /*Han sprakk vasen/ 'he cracked the vase'.

I wouldn't be surprised if other speakers disagree with me though. There
seems to be an increasing tendency i Norwegian toward transitive use of
verbs which I perceive as intransitive.

Best,

Åshild

--
Åshild Næss
Postdoctoral researcher, Radboud University Nijmegen

Postal address:
Dept. of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1102 Blindern
0317 Oslo, Norway

Phone: (+47) 22 85 42 30