query: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement PS

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Nov 13 15:39:02 UTC 2008

PS on previous posting:

Misha Daniel, with whom I have been having a lengthy discussion on these
matters, has just reminded me that I forgot to cite an important source
on this construction, Grev Corbett's 2000 book on Number, where (pp.
191-192) three other languages are cited as having ASPDs:  the Talitsk
dialect of Russian (citing Bogdanov 1968, though Misha himself tells me
that he has failed to confirm the veracity of the data), Maltese (citing
Ray Fabri p.c.), and Haruai, apparently only with pronominal subjects
(citing Bernard Comrie p.c.).

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/