query: associative via noun-verb disagreement

Greville Corbett g.corbett at SURREY.AC.UK
Fri Nov 14 07:25:33 UTC 2008

Dear All

David's posting shows again that calling the whole phenomenon 'associative
plural' is inaccurate and misleading. In (2) the 'Associative Plural via
Disagreement' isn't a plural, it's a dual. The associative is orthogonal to
number: you can have associative dual and and associative plural (as in
Central Alaskan Yup'ik - Corbett/Mithun in JL 1996). Till David's posting we
had associative plural by disagreement, and he neatly fills in a gap showing
that you can have associative dual  by disagreement too. Thus associative is
orthogonal to number: we have associative dual and associative plural, and
both of these directly or by disagreement. Maybe someone out there has an
associative trial, of either flavour. (We don't get associative singulars
for similar reasons to the lack of inclusive singulars.)

By the way, even English can get the effect, but only at the top end of the
Agreement Hierarchy, with pronouns not predicates. For some speakers - well
at least one - this is OK:
   - Aunty Rosie rang.
   - Oh, how are they? (Aunty R and her family).

Very best
Grev

--
Greville G. Corbett

Surrey Morphology Group
English (J1)
Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
University of Surrey
Guildford                                   email: g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Surrey, GU2 7XH
Great Britain                               phone:  +44 1483 682849
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/SMG/            fax:  +44 1483 686231