Fw: Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at MAIL.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Nov 21 14:16:22 UTC 2008

I would like to respectfully disagree with Raffaele Simone. The Arabic
annexation construction, at least in Classical Arabic, is rather
*unlike*juxtaposition: apart from some few exceptions, both head and
dependent are
marked formally, the former by the absence of nunation, the latter by the
genitive case. For a full exposition of this in the Semitic languages in
general, one might look at G. Goldenberg's "Attribution in the Semitic
Languages" (*Langues orientales anciennes: philologie et linguistique* 5-6,
1995: 1-20, reprinted in *Studies in Semitic Linguistics*).

Best,
Eitan Grossman