Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

Edith Moravcsik edith at UWM.EDU
Sat Nov 22 22:41:47 UTC 2008

Hi David,

I assume that the basic schema of an inclusory construction is this:

PLU.PRO + COMITATIVE.NP, meaning 'the referent of the singularized pronoun
plus the referent of the NP'

E.g. "we with John"
meaning: 'I and John'

I assume that the basic schema of an associative plural is this:

NOUN+marker
meaning: 'the referent of NOUN and some others belong to his or her group'

If this is correct, what does Alex Francois mean by saying that many ASP-s
are also inclusories? Does he mean that they have two alternative
interpretations, one ASP, the other inclusory? Or does he mean that ASP-s by
definition are also inclusories at the same time?

Regarding your question, whether ASP-s of the type /John 3PL/ can be
understood with dual reference or only with three or more referents: I have
best intuitions about the Hungarian ASP. Here, the ASP marker is not exactly
a third person plural pronoun but a marker related to the regular nominal
plural marker (actually, it is a possessive marker plus the plural); e.g.

John-e'-k 'John and his people'

This construction can mean either
(a)  John and only one other person, or
(b) John and several others.