"simple juxtaposition"

Östen Dahl oesten at LING.SU.SE
Mon Nov 24 14:11:40 UTC 2008

I agree with Hartmut. Arguably, the idea of “simple juxtaposition” reflects
a written-language bias, since any combination of linguistic elements into a
phrase or a word comes with an intonation contour and a stress pattern (at
least in languages where stress is relevant). In the case of a syntactic
combination as black bird it may of course be said that we are only dealing
with a default phrasal prosodic pattern, but in compounds such as blackbird
there may be construction-specific properties. In Germanic languages in
general, compounds tend to have the main stress on the first component and
secondary stress on the second one; in Standard Swedish there is the
additional complication that if a compound consists of more than two
components, the secondary stress is always on the last component,
irrespective of the internal structure of the compound: thus stor ‘big’ and
sjuk-hus ‘sick-house=hospital’ (with main stress on sjuk) combine to give
stor-sjuk-hus with secondary stress on hus and sjuk unstressed. In the
varieties in northern Sweden that have extensive adjective incorporation,
the incorporated adjectives sometimes have phonologically reduced forms,
which incidentally is analogous to what happens in Semitic status
constructus constructions (where the head noun is reduced). I do not think
it is important here that these properties are not universal, what is
important is that a grammar cannot just say “concatenate these words”; you
have to add descriptive detail. I discuss these problems in my 2004
<http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=SLCS%2071>  book,
especially chapters 3 and 11. I would claim that to the extent that compound
nouns display specific expressional properties, they are representatives of
“mature constructions” in the sense defined in that book, that is,
basically, they are patterns that presuppose a diachronic development.

- Östen

  _____