Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

Besten, J.B. den J.B.denBesten at UVA.NL
Mon Nov 24 14:51:41 UTC 2008

I am having a little trouble with  Andy Spewncer's definition of what he is looking for:

"by maens of pure juxtaposition, without any other morphosyntactic marking (agreement, adpositions, case marking etc.)"

Does "pure juxtaposition" mean: 'solely by means of juxtaposition'? -- If so Khoekhoegowab (Nama), which is AN without any special marking on either N or A) does not count as the type of language Andy is looking for since it is

DP - (DI 'possessive') -  N - pgn-marker - (A: 'dependent case')

However, if "pure" in "pure juxtaposition" only foreshadows "without any other morphosyntactic marking, etc." then - provided the optional presence of posessive DI does not hurt -- it is still unclear to me whether Khoekhoegowab may count as  the type of language required. On the one hand, Khg does not mark the possessor as GEN or DAT (in fact there are no such cases in Khg); on the other hand Khg  marks the possessor as NOM, which boils down to the absence of the audible case marker A. NOM is asssigned to non-inverted subjects, to possessors (except for 1Sg and 2Sg possessives, which are possessive pronouns) and to the objects of de-nominal postpositions. Therefore, possessive constriuctions in Khg look as follows:

DP-(*A) - (DI) - N-pgn-marker-(A)

Maybe the definition could be refined -- which may have consequences for the languages suggested up till now2.

Hans den Besten