"simple juxtaposition"

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Nov 26 07:13:25 UTC 2008

Can I express my agreement with Claude and Hartmut about the need to
treat prosody on an equal footing with other aspects of linguistic
structure? I agree too that prosodic work needs to rely on proper
instrumental analysis. (I also think semantics is best done with the
tools of formal logic, but that's probably more controversial.)
Anyway, for a good study that tries to accord each domain equal status
I would mention the following paper by our former PhD student, Louise
Mycock (now at Oxford):
'Constituent question formation and focus: a new typological
perspective', Transactions of the Philological Society 105 (2007), pp.
192-252.
Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                      University of Manchester
                      Manchester M13 9PL
                      United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031