summary: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri Nov 28 14:57:03 UTC 2008

Dear all,

On November 13 I posted a query which began as follows ...

"I am interested in the cross-linguistic distribution of a construction
type in which an associative plural meaning, eg. 'John and his
associates', results from a singular noun triggering plural number
agreement on the verb, as illustrated in the following examples from
Roon (an Austronesian language spoken in the Cenderawasih bay of New
Guinea):

(1) Amos-i i-berif
Amos-PERS 3SG:ANIM-laugh
'Amos is laughing'

(2) Amos-i su-berif
Amos-PERS 3DU:ANIM-laugh
'Amos and his friend are laughing'

(3) Amos-i si-berif
Amos-PERS 3PL:ANIM-laugh
'Amos and his friends are laughing'

Example (1) shows ordinary agreement, with a singular subject triggering
singular verb agreement. However, examples (2) and (3) illustrate how an
associative plural interpretation is derived via disagreement, with the
still-singular subject occurring in construction with dual- and
plural-subject marked verbs respectively.We might therefore call the
construction in (2) and (3) an Associative Plural via Disagreement, or
ASPD.

My question is: how common is this ASPD construction in the languages of
the world? ..."

languages; a summary of this information can be found in Section 1
below. In addition, the query triggered an extensive discussion between
myself and a number of colleagues concerning the distinction between
associative plurals and inclusory constructions, a summary of which is
presented in Section 2 below. Embedded in Section 2 you'll also find two
additional questions (of the 'can you think of any examples of' kind)
with respect to which I would be grateful for any further information.

SECTION 1:

*Languages with a construction resembling (2) or (3):*
Russian, Talitsk -- [ Corbett (2000), citing Bogdanov (1968) ]
Maltese -- [ Corbett (2000), citing Fabri (pc, 1993) ]
Mori Bawah -- [ David Mead (pc) citing Esser (1927-1933) ]
Haruai -- [ Corbett (2000), citing Comrie (pc) ]
Bininj Gun-Wok -- [ Evans (2003) ]
Plains Cree -- [ Daniel and Moravcsik (2005) ]
Diuxi-Tilantongo Mixtec -- [ Kaius Sinnemäki (pc), citing Kuiper and
Oram (1991:238) ]

*Languages with a construction corresponding to (2) or (3) but where the
number marking on the verbal complex is periphrastic:*
French ("very substandard") -- [ Alex François (pc) ]
Jakarta Indonesian ("only some speakers")-- [ Tom Conners (pc) ]
Papuan Malay -- [ own field work ]

*Languages with verbal number marking but without a construction
resembling (2) or (3):*
English -- [ own knowledge ]
Irish -- [ Elisa Roma (pc) ]
Basque -- [ Miren Lourdes Oñederra Olaizola (pc) ]
German, Allemanic -- [ Frans Plank (pc) ]
Czech -- [ Viktor Elšik (pc) ]
Romany (Slovak) -- [ Viktor Elšik (pc) ]
Russian -- [ Michael Daniel (pc) ]
Hungarian -- [ Edith Moravcsik (pc) ]
Finnish -- [ Matti Miestamo (pc) ]
Hebrew -- [ own knowledge ]
Chechen -- [ Johanna Nichols (pc) ]
Ingush -- [ Johanna Nichols (pc) ]
Azeri -- [ Don Stilo (pc) ]
Vafsi -- [ Don Stilo (pc) ]
Persian -- [ Don Stilo (pc) ]
Urdu -- [ Elena Bashir (pc) ]
Belhare -- [ Balthasar Bickel (pc) ]
Tagalog -- [ Schachter and Otanes (1972:335) ]
Agutaynen -- [ Steve Quackenbush (pc) ]
Javanese -- [ Tom Conners (pc) ]
Mwotlap -- [ Alex François (pc) ]

My hope was to identify typological correlates, or predicators, for the
construction in question; but even the limited sample of languages above
suggests that this may be a futile quest: at least the following three
pairs of languages can be identified which are typologically similar (as
well as genealogically related), but in which one member of the pair has
the construction while the other hasn't:

Talitsk Russian - Standard Russian
Maltese - Hebrew
Jakarta Indonesian - Javanese

SECTION 2:

In their responses, a number of colleagues suggested that the
construction in question is an "inclusory" construction. In a follow-up
posting, on November 15, I poured cold water on the idea, arguing that,
while in other cases there may be overlap between associative plurals
and inclusories, there is no evidence that constructions such as those
in (2) and (3) are inclusory. Well, apologies to those whose suggestions
I dismissed: Alex François has since provided me with the obvious
knock-down argument that (2), at least, is inclusory; since (2) is
understood as referring to Amos plus one other person, the dual prefix
/su-/ can only be construed as including /Amos/ in its reference. In
fact, Alex's dual argument extends also to ordinary associative plurals
formed with a 3PL pronoun, such as the following from Papuan Malay:

(4) Amos dong
Amos 3PL
'Amos and his friend(s)'

Crucially, (4) may be understood as referring to two persons; and in
this case an inclusory analysis for the plural pronoun /dong/ is forced.
At this point, an empirical cross-linguistic question arises:

QUESTION 1: In other languages with an associative plural of the form
"[proper noun] 3PL", can the construction also refer to exactly two
persons (as in (4) above)? (I would be particularly interested in
languages in which the construction contains a (synchronic or
diachronic) coordinator, "Amos 'n them", as in such cases one might
perhaps expect the construction as a whole to refer to a minimum of
three people, Amos plus the referents of the pronoun, which would then
rule out an inclusory analysis.)

Over the last couple of weeks, Alex François, Misha Daniel, Edith
Moravcsik and myself have been staying up late at night debating the
relationship between associative plurals and inclusories. Following is a
summary of what I have learned from our discussion. (The following
reflects my own perspective on the discussion; its other participants
may not necessarily agree with everything below, or feel that these are
the most important points to emerge from the discussion.)

An /associative plural/ construction consists of two formal elements, a
referring expression /A/ plus a grammatical marker /m, /with the
resulting meaning 'A and A's associates'. The crucial semantic property
of the construction is that its plural reference is *constituted* from
the single designated member A, that is to say, they are conceptualized
as being associated with A.

An /inclusory/ construction consists of at least two formal elements, a
referring expression /A/ plus a pronoun or pronoun-like element /p/,
where the reference of A is wholly included in the reference of p. (In
addition, there may or may not be a third formal element /c/ marking the
construction as inclusory.)

Associative plural and inclusory constructions may overlap, yielding the
following three types (with examples of each):

Type A:
non-associative-plural inclusory
Russian /
my s Davidom
'/1PL with David-INSTR'
'David and me/us'

Type B:
associative-plural inclusory
Papuan Malay (4) above
Amos dong
Amos 3PL
'Amos and his friend(s)'

Type C:
associative-plural non-inclusory
Hungarian
Edith-ek
Edith-ASS.PL
'Edith and her friend(s)

Now for each of the above types, one may further distinguish between two
morphosyntactic types: (a) /nominal/, such as the above three examples,
where all of the constituent parts of the construction form a nominal
group, or NP, or (b) /discontinuous/, where the grammatical marker
and/or the pronoun occur in construction with the verb, either
periphrastically, or as bound morphology on the verb. Examples of the
latter discontinuous case:

Type A:
non-associative-plural inclusory
Bininj Gun-wok (Evans 2003:240)
... daluk ngal-mekbe bene-re-y ...
...woman FE-DEM 3uaP-go-PI
'...he and his wife were going ...'

Type B
associative-plural inclusory
Roon (3) above
Amos-i si-berif
Amos-PERS 3PL:ANIM-laugh
'Amos and his friends are laughing'

Type C
associative-plural non-inclusory
???

The Bininj Gun-wok case is the only one so far that I am familiar with
of a discontinuous inclusory that is not also associative. As Nick Evans
explains in his grammar, this example is taken from a story in which the
topic of discourse is a particular man, and "the fact that he is living
as a married man is introduced with" the inclusory construction,
specifically the dual verbal prefix /bene-./ Since /bene-/ is dual, the
construction is clearly inclusory; however, the discourse context
clearly indicates that the semantics is not associative -- the dual
reference of /bene-/ is not constituted by the woman, as would be the
case for an associative plural.

In the absence of consistently detailed descriptions, it is hard to tell
whether, in the languages listed in Section 1 above (Talytsk Russian,
Maltese, etc.), the construction in question is non-associative Type A,
like the Bininj Gun-wok, or associative Type B, like the Roon. In fact,
it may turn out to be the case that in some or all of these languages,
the same sentence may allow either non-associative or associative
interpretations, depending on context. But what about Type C, so far
unattested? ...

QUESTION 2: Are there any examples of a construction in which a singular
argument A can occur in construction with a specific non-pronominal
verbal marker (periphrastic or bound) to yield the interpretation 'A and
A's associate(s)?

Answers to the above two questions, and any other comments, would be
greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for all your comments and suggestions
to date.

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/