query: coordination and syntactic categories

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Apr 12 16:59:14 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I am looking for a language expert who can answer one relatively simple
question about a language satisfying the following two criteria:

(1) It uses the same word for 'and' and 'with' (John WORD Bill left /
John left WORD Bill).
(2) It uses the same word for nominal and verbal coordination (John WORD
Bill left / John came WORD left).

Plus, I would prefer that the language in question not be Austronesian.

Both of the above criteria constitute feature values in WALS chapters,
by Leon Stassen and Martin Haspelmath respectively.  The WALS database
lists a mere 11 languages satisfying the above two criteria, of which 6
are Austronesian and just 5 non-Austronesian -- the latter being
Greenlandic (West), Khasi, Navajo, Sango, and Tzutujil.

So if you are familiar with such a language, here's my question:

Can the 'and'/'with' word be used to coordinate a noun and a verb?

(If the language distinguishes between finite and non-finite verbs, I am
interested in the possibility of coordinating a noun with a finite, ie.
more verblike form.)

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/