demonstrative or pronoun?

Joseph T. Farquharson jtfarquharson at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 7 16:54:00 UTC 2009

In Jamaican Creole we use Focus constructions, one with a pronoun (1) and
the other with a demonstrative (2):

1.  A mi Jan
    FOC 1SG John

2.  A Jan dis
    FOC John DEM

2009/8/7 Siva Kalyan <sivakalyan.princeton at gmail.com>

> In Tamil (on the telephone) one would use the name followed by the verb for
> 'speak' in the first person singular. See Asher and Annamalai's (2002)
> textbook (
> http://books.google.com/books?id=iMZpM40xFfsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=asher+tamil&ei=xlR8SrKtG4HUlAS4irSmDQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false)
> for an example.
> In languages such as Japanese, which are pro-drop and where verbs don't
> inflect for person and number, I imagine it would be hard to tell the two
> possibilities apart (in this case, both would be simply *Jon desu*).
>
> Hope this helps.
> Siva
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Olesya Khanina <khanina at eva.mpg.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear David,
>>
>> the same in Russian
>>
>> Regards,
>> Olesya
>>

>> Siewierska, Anna wrote:
>>
>>> Dear David,
>>>
>>> In Polish you would use the demonstrative, To Jan.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Anna

Joseph T. Farquharson
Lecturer
Faculty of Education and Liberal Studies
University of Technology, Jamaica
237 Old Hope Road
Kingston 6 Jamaica
Website: www.jotifa.com Alternative Email 1: jfarquharson at utech.edu.jm